Counselling offers a safe, confidential space to talk about anything that may be confusing, painful or uncomfortable in order to gain insight.
As an MDS you can directly access counselling support by calling UNUM Lifeworks or logging into the website using the following details. You can also speak in confidence to your Line Manager/HR about accessing this support, but you can be assured that what is discussed between yourself and a counsellor in a therapy session remains confidential.
Employee Assistance Programme
Our Employee Assistance Programme, Unum can be accessed on 0800 048 2702 or by visiting: www.unumlifeworks.co.uk
(user ID: ‘unum’ password: ‘lifeworks’)
“Do I need counselling/therapy?”
There is a common notion that counselling or therapy is only for those whose life is in pieces, and the result is that often we wait too long before seeking therapeutic support. There are many valid reasons for seeking counselling support and these include:
- Feeling sad and angry more often than you want to
- Losing interest in the things you used to enjoy
- Loss of a loved one – either because of bereavement or relationship breakdown
- Loss of something else significant eg role, money, personal equilibrium
- Experience of abuse whether that is physical, mental, emotional or spiritual
- Experienced a major trauma – traffic accident or personal attack
- If you or someone you love is struggling with depression, anxiety, other mental ill health
The above is not a comprehensive list and there are many other reasons why people choose to engage in counselling.