Project Management Training
When11 September 2018
About the Event
Project Management Training Course
By the end of the course delegates will have a clear understanding of what is involved in the successful delivery of a project. They will be able to explain what each of the key aspects of project management is and why they are important within the context of successful project delivery. During each of these sessions delegates will be provided with guidance to apply the key concepts and tools to support the delivery of their projects effectively. The course is supported by a case study which is based on an actual project.
Accommodation and travel can be provided if outside Edinburgh.
- Delegates will be able to briefly describe the differences between the PRINCE2® and Agile project management approaches
- Apply a range of practical tools and techniques to help plan and manage projects
- Learn how to run successful projects avoiding the most common pitfalls.
By the end of the day delegates will be able to explain:
- the definition of a project
- the value of applying the PRINCE2 or Agile structured approach to projects
- the key elements to successful project delivery
- who the “key players” in a project are
- the key elements of a project business case
- how to carry out a simple risk assessment
– Purpose of the Workshop
– What is a project?
– What is project management?
– Differences between project management and business as usual
– PRINCE2 – What it is and what it is not.
– AGILE – What do we mean by Agile project management?
– How can PRINCE2 and Agile work together?
Key Project Roles and Responsibilities
– The role of the project sponsor or executive
– The role of the user and supplier
– The role of the Project Manager
– The role of the Team Manager
– Working with Stakeholders and the importance of communications.
– Purpose of a Business Case within a project environment
– Benefits and why these are important for the organisation.
– Return on Investment – justifying the project.
Planning the Project
– The value of planning
– What is involved – Seven steps to success
– Using Product Based Planning and how it supports the delivery of the Project Plan.
– The importance of effective risk management in a project
– The relationship between Risk Management and planning the project
– How do we manage risks on a project?
Configuration Management and Change
– What do we mean by configuration management and why is it important?
– The importance of dealing with issues and change.
– How do we manage issues and change on a project?
Delivering the Project from Start to Finish
– Starting up a Project –Confirming the justification
– Initiating a Project – planning for success and what needs to be in place for success
– Executing the Project – managing the project delivery and outputs
– Closing the Project – Ensuring that the project has been completed and closed down effectively.
Summary and Review.